Chinatown Tai Chi CenterOur Collected Recipes
This isn't really related to anything, but we like to share.
From: Mary Nelson
Original Source: 150 Vegan Favorites by Jay Solomon, ©1998, Prima Publishing
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, drained
- 4 whole scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno chili pepper, seeded and minced (I used half a jalapeno)
- 1 can (14 oz) corn kernels, drained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil ( I use olive)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 limes, cut into wedges (I juiced them and put into the mix of ingredients)
In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa and water and bring to a simmer. Stir the grains, cover, and cook over medium heat until all of the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes. Fluff the grains and set aside for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the beans, scallions, bell pepper, jalapeno, corn, oil, parsley, pepper, and salt. Stir in the cooked quinoa and squeeze half of the limes into the salad.
Serve the salad warm or refrigerate for later. Squeeze the remaining lime over the top just before serving.
Helpful Tip: Quinoa is available in natural food stores and well-stocked supermarkets. Remember to first rinse the quinoa in cold water (to wash away the natural, bitter-tasting resin that coats the grains).
The recipe is directly from the cookbook (with my changes included). I have a note in my book to "try black beans". I may have even used black-eyed peas in a pinch!
The cookbook has quite a few really good recipes. I've fed them to my non-vegetarian family and they enjoyed them!
Preheat oven to 350° F
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 6 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup coconut
Start by toasing the coconut for about 15 minutes at 350° in a shallow baking pan and coating the inside of a bread pan with butter and flour. Mix the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls, then fold to combine. Mix in the mashed banana and macadamia nuts. Bake for 55 minutes or until it passes the knife test.
Preheat oven to 350° F
- 12 oz. light oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp allspice
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Mix oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Sift and add flour and other dry ingredients. Stir in apples and nuts. Very stiff batter - like cookie dough. Bake in 9x13 pan at 350 for 5o-6o min.